Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sleep regression...BOO :(

Who knew that right when you thought your baby was starting to kind of "sleep through the night", they would just stop? We have done everything that the doctor has suggested except letting her "cry it out", and she still does not sleep through the night. We have had the same nightly routine for at least 3 months, we put her to bed drowsy, we try not to feed her in the middle of the night, we don't talk to her when we go in the room, we stopped rocking her in the middle of the night, and we stopped putting her in the bed with us, and we also got a fan to make some white noise. BUT! NOTHING works. I don't believe in letting her cry, so I guess we will just keep on trucking like we are.
With all the new tricks she has learned, it has made putting her to bed an even bigger challenge. I now put her in the bed and leave the room (just like the dr says), and I go back about ten minutes later to see her little sweet face peeking over the side of the crib smiling at her momma behind her pa-pa. It has gone from taking just about 1 hr 15 min to put her to bed-bath and all- to about 2 hrs because we do this several times. I guess one day she will learn to sleep through the night. I will just try to grow some more patience between now and then. Any suggestions other than the mean crying thing I would gladly try!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like we are in the same boat! Kris and I went to the daycare today for a tour before we start bringing Jack and low and behold we look down and there is Ryleigh Jane. She was just looking up and smiling. She is absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I opened my mouth too soon about Josie's sleeping. Ever since we got home from the beach she has been getting up at 1 and then again at 4. Hope its just a phase?!? Doubt it! I think she is just coming out of the comaatose state she was in for so long =) Us poor, poor mommies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack starts Oct 12th. I think he is going to be in Ryleigh Jane's class. They are going to have lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it for you! Are you having problems getting her to sleep? We have a whole long routine where we swaddle him, cut off the lights, play a white noise/rain shower cd, put a pacifier in, and sway with him until he falls asleep. We even have to use our fingers to close his eyelids occasionally because even if he is tired, he will fight that. I guess she's too old to swaddle now, though. I don't know what we are going to do when he grows out of the swaddle!

    And Katie, mine still gets up at 1 and 4. I don't think I'll ever sleep through the night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you said you don't want to do the crying thing but that is really the best way to make them be independent. We put Ford down at night and he cries. I go in there every 3 to 5 minutes and pat him and put his paci back in. I do not talk and I do not pick him up. Nap time is the same. Expect at nap time I let him cry longer. Today is day 5 that I am not laying down with him in my bed. He is napping in his baby bed. Today he played and then went to sleep. Not one bit of crying. It takes a few days. I usually get in the shower or do something if I don't want to hear him crying.

    ReplyDelete