Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Special Day

I had an excellent 32 birthday!!! Last Sunday, my family drove up for the afternoon to spend time with me on my day.  My mom cooked lunch and brought it with her.  I love my momma's cooking :)  It made me happy, even though I felt guilty with her having to cook all of it and drive an hour to bring it to me.  We ate, had cake and ice cream, and watched the Saints win again #2 on the season.  Those things were great birthday presents!  The best present I got though didn't happen until later that afternoon...





After lunch, we drove down to Poplarville to see my sweet Granny.  She is not doing very well at the moment.  Her Alzheimers and dementia is really starting to take a toll on her brain and body.  Unfortunately, I think this may be our last holiday season with her.  She is a tough old bird and has surprised us more times than one on how well she recovers, so I could be totally wrong.  But, as of now things are looking down.  It saddens me to know that I won't have her here with me much longer.  She has taught me so much, and she brings back such wonderful memories of my carefree time in life.  It is so hard to not be selfish in these times.  I want her to be healed and healthy and with the Lord she loves so much, but I have a hard time letting her go.

On with the story, I got a little side tracked...My favorite present was actually from her.  She hadn't been eating or drinking hardly anything at all.  She is a big sweets eater, so we thought a piece of birthday cake would surely get her eating again.  We were right :) After a little persuading and her hollering at us that she didn't want it, she finally ate!  She was in and out so to speak during the visit and didn't hardly talk at all, but right before I left I told her that I loved her and she said, "I love you too."  Those 4 little words in her sweet, old voice meant the world to me.  If any of you have dealt with someone with A/D you know that moments of lucidness at this stage are amazing.  At that moment, I knew she loved me and for 2 seconds she was my Granny again.  Happy Birthday to me :)  Praying for a great year!









No comments:

Post a Comment