Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"I'm Haley. Nice to meet you!"

Yesterday at about 10 am Brad called me asking me a favor. He wanted me to go to a Republican Party dinner in Jackson with him at 4 that afternoon. For those of you that know me well, you know that I am NOT a fan of politics or political events. But because I love my husband so much and want to make him happy, I told him I would go, but he would owe me a favor. I dreaded the event all day. I did not want to go stand in a room with a bunch of stuffy, old, rich people that I do not know, and then have to sit at the dinner table with them and make polite conversation about things I don't even care about.
Well, we loaded up at 4 and headed out. We got there around 5:30 and drove around for a few minutes because it didn't start until 6. I am ready to get in there, eat, and get out, but this is when Brad drops the bomb that the dinner doesn't really start until 7 and it costs $100 a plate. He told me that his ticket was paid for, so we would only owe for mine. Of course, now I am fuming. I told him to get me a glass of wine, so I could at least relax a little. This is when things started looking up. Wine cures everything right? haha!
We go to check in and don't have to pay, which makes me very happy :) Then, we saw Haley Barbour enter the room. I made the comment in passing that it would at least be neat if I got to meet the Gov. for driving all the way to Jackson. He started making his rounds, and you could hear people talking to him about politics and blah, blah, blah. All of a sudden, he turns and walks directly over to the 2 wallflowers, i.e. me and Brad, and says, "I'm Haley. Nice to meet you!" I was so excited! I know I sound like a country mouse goes to town, but he is the Gov. of our great state! I talked to him about his grandbabies, always a plus, and he made his way on to the next people. I told Brad that the favor was no longer owed and that was the highlight of my night! So! We ended up having a really good time. It was so worth it to meet him, and to discover that he is really nice.

3 comments:

  1. Y'all could have wasted time at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was only like 15 minutes or so. We started having drinks and "socializing" at 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have felt like a fish out of water! Glad he came and spoke. See you this afternoon, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete